Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Single Loaf Wheat Bread recipe


OK, I don't know how many folks out there are single and may enjoy a bit of cooking, but really hate the cooking for one thing, and like how many bread recipes make multiple loaves, so I adapted a standard white bread recipe, using half-whole wheat, and reducing the yield.  There is a link to the original as well, because it needs to be there because while I messed with it a bit, I didn't create the original.

The recipe doesn't call for many things, but even there I had to change it up a bit because I don't keep nearly the variety of things around the house as I should.

1 package of yeast (though I proofed mine because it was past use by date, but hey, it isn't like they really all die on that day)
1 1/8 cups warm water
1.5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon oil (recipe says canola, I used olive)
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5-2 cups whole wheat flour

Pretty much the same as on tasteofhome.com:

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, oil and 1.5 cups all purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough. 
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 8-10 minutes. (Because my apartment has limited space, and I wanted easier clean up, I did this on a piece of parchment paper, then used the paper for the cover when I placed this up on the fridge to rise.) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased pan (I used 8x8 pan). I also scored mine. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes.  (I also started the preheat on the oven at around 30 minutes, giving the bread 15 more, and the oven time to be ready.)
Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes (with square pan) or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.


No comments: