Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Fiction

I have been reading a lot of M/M fiction lately, some of it mainstream (Nightrunner series), and some of it not so much (The Last Pure Human).  While those are just two examples, I have read several more, and maybe with time I am not so critical, or maybe I have just been lucky with what I have picked up, but this seems to be better written than what passed as "gay" lit when I was coming out.  That isn't to say that I like all that is out there.  For whatever reason, I started The Last Herald-Mage series, but was so put off by the main character that I could not continue, though the series ranks high on some Goodreads lists.  While the Pure Human tale is seems more of a stranger in strange land sort of comedy (set in the future on another planet), Alec and Seregil in the Nightrunner series have a relationship that actually develops over the course of the books, and, in truth, I don't really think you could change the sex of either of them without some major rewriting of the books, so it doesn't really seem like the author wrote a M/F love story and changed it to M/M just for the sake of it standing out.

I probably did have something else I wanted to say, but my ancient lap top is acting up, so I needed to use my desktop, as I have no intention of trying to type blog entries on the virtual keyboard of a tablet.

No comments: