Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Interesting Month

It has been an interesting month.  Early in the month I ventured to my hometown to visit family, as it turned out, I had not been there in five years, since shortly before my father started chemo.  Anyway, I managed to visit my parents and grandparents, and due to other circumstances I spent a bit more time at home than originally planned, which worked well, since I saw my aunt, uncle, and cousins in that extended time.  Later in the month, on the 31st actually, I learned that one of my grandmothers had passed.  I don't think I have ever been so grateful to have made a trip home.  Since I normally tried to maximize my time with her, and this was no exception, I have good memories from that final trip.  The last meal we shared was at my favorite pizza place, and when I saw her last she was making  crispy bacon for my 2nd cousin one morning.  I managed to get a some more memories with her which was great, and for what it is worth, I think the family get-together after her funeral would have made her happy, with all of her grand-children and most of her great-grandchildren spending most of an afternoon sitting, chatting, taking pictures, and being a family brought together by grief, but one in which grief did not overwhelm.  Most of the great-grandchildren did not know those from the other side of the family, but several were willing to be adopted into the other's family by the end of the day.  While she wasn't there, her abiding belief in family permeated the day, and if there is any sort of tribute appropriate to her, that would be it, no one took greater pleasure in taking care of her family.

No comments: