Monday, September 19, 2016

Richard Aldington's "Childhood" part II

Something I read while at work yesterday, but I liked it, so here it is.  This is part II of Richard Aldington's "Childhood":

I've seen people put
A chrysalis in a match-box,
"To see," they told me, "what sort of moth would come."
But when it broke its shell
It slipped and stumbled and fell about its prison
And tried to climb to the light
For space to dry its wings.
That's how I was.
Somebody found my chrysalis
And shut it in a match-box.
My shrivelled wings were beaten,
Shed their colours in dusty scales
Before the box was opened
For the moth to fly.
And then it was too late,
Because the beauty a child has,
And the beautiful things it learns before its birth,
Were shed, like moth-scales, from me.

The Imagist Poets: A Collection of Imagist Poetry (Kindle Locations 176-181). A & L eBooks. Kindle Edition.

I haven't really read much of the Imagists as a group, or probably even realized I was reading an Imagist poet, since normally I end up reading whatever catches my eye at the time.  This kindle edition was bought strictly to increase my options for reading poetry on the go, and it was cheap.  I should get back to the poem though, or maybe I don't need to, this part says so much just by itself.  Just think of all the children with helicopter parents, whose blades have clipped the wings of their youth, and you get exactly what I think about with this poem.

No comments: