Wednesday, September 14, 2016

More on Pintado

Firstly, I found some of the poems from the collection I am reading online, here.  So if you like the one I transcribed earlier, there are others for you.

Of course I should have known that any recent book of poetry mentioning Alexandria would probably also reference others fascinated by the city, and low and behold, there is a poem about Lawrence Durrell, whose collection of novels making up The Alexandria Quartet I really enjoyed.  I must have given them away at some point, as I no longer have my paperbacks.

Between Cavafy and Durrell there is a poem for Musil, but he is not one of my authors, but I know someone who has read him.  Most German authors don't do much for me, which I am sure has something to do with the Tolstoy/Dostoyevski paradigm, that you will like one or the other, but not likely both.  I fall into the Tolstoy camp, but I have read enough Dostoyevski (given, some was Constance Garnett, but she didn't totally change the underlying story and mood) to know that he isn't my favorite.  Truth be told, while I like Tolstoy better, I am still not likely to pick up more books by either author.  Before my diversion into Russian authors, there was something about German authors, yes Musil is Austrian, but he writes in German, and how you are likely to like German literature or not, and I figured I tried enough German authors to just not bother with more, Musil came to my attention after my decision.  I still pick up the Thomas Mann I have in the house and make efforts to read a bit further this time, but haven't made much progress.

No comments: