Friday, June 09, 2017

Ocean Vuong, from "Night Sky with Exit Wounds"

There is a poem earlier in this book ("Night Sky with Exit Wounds"), Torso of Air, that I liked quite a bit, but I am going to send you off to see if you can actually locate it elsewhere, since I wanted to quote from a different poem, Someday I'll Love Ocean Vuong, right now:

... The most beautiful part of your body
is where it's headed. & remember,
loneliness is still time spent
with the world. ...

I did finish up the book tonight, and for whatever reason, that line about loneliness rather struck me.

My reading has been all over the place.  I actually restarted my kindle unlimited subscription since they were offering me another thirty day free trial.  I cancelled it and removed the books I had downloaded, after totally losing interest in three of the four books I had borrowed.  It occurred to me a day or two after reactivating the service that I really didn't want to spend all summer reading on my kindle.

Speaking of reading, and of poetry, I discovered Tommy Pico's newest effort was released back in May, so I ordered it from my local bookstore.  Upon returning home, I noticed, unlike his earlier work, this one was available in electronic format.  While I have poetry in electronic format, I think it is actually something I prefer in paper, so I didn't cancel any orders or even compare pricing.  What struck me as the funniest thing was that I found the book in the Apple iBooks store, but it never really registered, until after I got home from the bookstore, that it was actually available electronically.  My mind thinks small press and that means no electronic versions.  Obviously, I am wrong, and I am glad such works are available in a variety of formats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about Kindle Unlimited. I restarted my subscription once I had about a dozen books on my 'wish list' that were available in KU, and have been pretty disappointed. With 2 exceptions, I haven't been really impressed with the selection on KU - or the fact that you can't really search KU available books by author or title. I'll be cancelling my subscription soon.

Saw a blog post by Tj Klune that there are authors who post a book a MONTH on KU. I think that alone speaks to the quality of what's out there.

JeffTD said...

I agree with you and TJ on the quality of what is there. It isn't just the writing, but the editing as well. I think Amazon encouraging people to publish is good, but the lack of editorial oversight is what will kill it in the end, as long as reputable publishers aren't swept aside in the carnage.