Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Hopper and Bauhaus


I just finished reading a couple of Taschen publications, their books on Edward Hopper and the Bauhaus. From their book on Hopper, and my personal experience, I would say he painted ennui and the dislocation one feels even in the most familiar of places. Somehow this is an American theme (as the book implies Europeans still don't "get him"), perhaps because of how technology transformed the country, and how there were centuries of thought fighting for survival while it did so.
The Bauhaus book was enlightening for what it said about the history of the school, most of which I didn't know. The almost mystical leanings of the early Bauhaus (due to the influence of Itten), and how a couple of painters (Kandinsky & Klee) were instructors there for most of its existence, though I normally don't associate either with the movement, as I always thought of it as an "industrial" design and architecture movement (though architecture wasn't officially taught until the latter half of its existence. I think only in America would one forget how "small" Europe is and be blind to how everything else going on in the twenties would have influenced it--there was even bauhausian theatre.

No comments: