Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Frederic Leighton and mythology

I saw this image yesterday on my Tumblr feed and tried to find a bit more on it.  Unfortunately, all I could verify was the title "The Hit."  I saw some articles about Leighton incorporating mythology in his paintings, and then it occurred to me perhaps this is Herakles and a young Dionysus, since I had seen statue of an adult Herakles with the infant Dionysus. The animal skin (though leopard not lion) on the elder and the leave crown on the younger were the main drivers for me to make this decision on identities, though I am sure there are other ideas, if not some notes from the time that actually name the myth from which the image was drawn. 

Actually, I did do another search of it before pressing the publish button, and I found no more than I did yesterday, though I can purchase a Giclee print or a copy printed on wood or canvas.

No comments: