Sunday, January 07, 2007

Romanian Holiday Television

Since I know so many people are curious about the holiday offerings on television in Romania, and I haven't fully been able to explain them in person, while surfing around google video I found the below clip of traditional Romanian folk music. During the holidays, most of the local television stations resort to programming featuring traditional music (when they aren't showing the "Home Alone" series, or similar foreign holiday films), and below is an example of the programming. This is definitely not Christmas, but looks like some autumnal, harvest sort of thing with the corn. Christmas shows feature very similar costuming, about the same amount of movement, and snow--real or fake depends on whether it is filmed inside or outside (I did see at least one show that was filmed outdoors).

While it is not my style, many Romanians enjoy it, and while I don't like the New Year's Eve spectaculars, it is obvious many Americans enjoy them, so please do not take my commentary on this one as being critical of the Romanian culture.

No comments: