Sunday, April 29, 2007

It is Sunday...

and I don't feel like the horse in the picture, but Dave wanted something stunning, and this is what I came up with--hopefully it will work for him. Over at his blog, there is a comment on another blog about religion. And at Dave's behest, I am throwing out my two cents which I mentioned to him in a phone call yesterday, so I have probably forgotten the best of it. Of the religion and hollow phrases, I suggested that it is much more common in Protestant faiths than in the Orthodox. My reasoning was that the Orthodox, much more so than the Catholic, is still steeped in ritual, and the fact these phrases are used in conjunction with age-old ritual perpetually renews them. Since most Protestant faiths tossed out ritual when they stopped taking orders from Rome, they lost the mystery of faith which is still found in Catholic and Orthodox services. The primary purpose of many Protestant services seems to be a harangue, rather than a communing with God (or the spirit). The current world has a different set of pains, or perhaps the same pains with different names, than existed 500 years ago, but a connection with the spiritual is still necessary for faith to thrive. My current opinion of many Evangelical sects is they thrive by telling people how awful those unlike them (or those they don't understand) are, and I find it irritating, and I find that it colors my whole opinion of religion.

I guess that is it for now, since I am sure some laundry will be ready for folding sometime soon.

No comments: