Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Growing Financial Paranoia

It is odd, after several years not having a credit card, though having a debit card, with my upcoming trip to Europe, I am becoming paranoid about my debit cards not working. I haven't received the credit card I applied for, so I could earn miles for all of my hotel charges, and I am worrying about the debit cards not being accepted. Don't get me wrong, I have never had a problem using them abroad previously, but there is a first time for everything, and I don't want this to be that time. As it is, I am doing those things, like considering buying Euros ahead of time, for at least a cushion, which would make a cut off less disastrous. What makes me really wonder though, and while I was in Romania and heading to other places on the continent during holiday, I never really worried about the whole thing, but I had a back up card just in case, so is this just because I don't have the safety net I am accustomed to, or is it because Bush's push to have Americans live in fear is rubbing off on me, and in a peculiar fashion because of my upcoming vacation. It is hard to say, but I have noticed that at least one person I know also seems to be acting in a more peculiarly paranoid fashion. The culture of fear has begun, and it will take some effort to get myself out of it, and some effort to make sure those around me don't succumb as well.

No comments: