Thursday, January 20, 2011

Buying Music

I figure I must still be old school when it comes to this, as I still prefer to go to a music store and buy discs. Considering the number of hard drive failures I have experienced, and how much I dislike constantly needing to download repeatedly that I have downloaded at least once before, my reluctance to buy music electronically can probably be explained. I still need to download a copy of Dragon Age again, as my only electronic copy happened to be on the hard drive that died on me. It isn't as if I don't trust backing up files on a spare hard drive, but that spare hard drive periodically needs to be backed up as well, since it is as likely to die as any hard drive on a computer. While I would guess that it would be extremely rare for all of one's drives to die at the same time, my guess is that it is a possibility, and then one is really stuck trying to put all of one's files back together again. There is the possibility of storing things on the cloud, but it seems silly to pay for more storage online if you have a back-up at home. If I really wanted to be a bit of a conspiracy theorist, I guess I could just believe it is all a big scam so that we store all our information in the cloud, where it can be accessed by us, but where companies can then scan it, and target advertising more effectively, which would boost the bottom line in addition to the storage charges. While I would not put that out of the range of business practices, I doubt there is a currently a company with that sort of business model.

Anyway, the purchases were Balkan Beats Volume 1 and Balkan Grooves from Eastblok Music. After my time in Romania, I still haven't tired of the Balkan sounds.

No comments: