Saturday, January 22, 2011

Electronic Stasis

As I looked at my blog, I was taken by the fact I haven't updated Library Thing in ages. While I still own the books that it says are on my shelf, there is a distinct lack of anything newly acquired, or, in truth, anything vaguely resembling a complete list. I am not sure if the partial list reflects my disillusion with the project or the tediousness of the project. Once there, I am sure a book will stay there forever, or at least until I remove it, but the process of uploading all those titles is more than a bit tedious--much like the first time one uploads collected discs into I-tunes or something similar, with the major difference being that you can listen to your music without needing to carry all those discs around; whereas, with the books, all you get is a list. I can't see publishers of either sort ever actually making it so that if you buy a physical version, then you can automatically access an electronic copy of the same thing. While music is easy to move to the PC, the thought of trying to type the next chapter you want to read into your Kindle seems a bit silly. I guess the reason this came to mind is that it would be nice to be able to have a selection to read at lunch while at work, but keeping a bookshelf at work seems a bit overkill. As it is, sometimes while eating I read whatever newspaper I can find, then after eating, in the remaining portion of my lunch, I have been reading a chapter or so of a book. Do I really need to combine those two activities (newspapers and books) with one device? Probably not, but I can understand how it could appear desirable using that premise. For me, at least for the time being, I will continue bringing my book to lunch and hoping to find a newspaper, and if no paper is available, there is always a bit of daydreaming that can be done while I eat.

No comments: