Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Pleasantly Surprised

This dish was a lot of fun, and went through many stages before finishing. I think I did some sort of process on it five of the six classes I had to work on it. It started out as a piece of glass we were given to teach us cutting and then tack fusing. Later, I added the color and gave it a full fuse, which melted all the tack fused glass perfectly smooth. The color spots were holes in the original piece. The I flip fused it so the little pieces of frit that looked like stones would be more obvious-- a case of the bottom looking better than the top. After that, I decided it needed to be a dish, so I slumped it. In the last class we learned how to use a sandblaster, so, at the instructor's suggestion, I gave the back a good blasting. The end result is something I like quite a bit and keep finding myself looking at. As a learning piece, I think it worked very well. As something decorative, it is a bit more personal, and will probably live someplace in the house, as it is much more organic than all the line oriented work that I did, which I like, but which has a certain formality to it. Pictures of some of those other pieces will certainly follow, but I thought it would be fun to share all the work that went into this one.

No comments: