Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The day after Tuesday


There is something fun about going through old photos, though I am no doubt going about things the hard way since I decided to cut up my long negatives from my years in Europe and put them in little plastic sheets so I have the luxury of being able to scan the negatives at will into the computer. I am finding some fun images, and I am sure in time I will post more of them, but I don't know yet if I will register a flickr account.

The week has been much like any other week, excepting that work started on Tuesday. It is nice that it hasn't been a nightmare, and I have to hope there are no problems tomorrow, since I am meeting someone after work for a beer (and I may even eat if the menu looks appetizing) at the Jolly Roger Pub (and Maritime Pacific Brewery).

Dave just called and rejected all of my suggestions for a poem to present in class tomorrow. I don't know, they went from Dorothy Parker to William Blake--I held off on Catullus after I was informed that translations weren't looked upon favorably for this class.

The conversation did provoke my memory of a fabulous quote from today's reading in Tocqueville: "A nation that asks nothing of government but the maintenance of order is already a slave in the depths of its heart; it is a slave of its well-being, ready for the man who will put it in chains."

I can't say the quote is very uplifting, and it isn't quite concise enough to be a sound bite. A clarion call?

No comments: