Friday, December 16, 2016

Name calling and other 21st Century style political discussion

I am constantly amazed that Bill Clinton left office with a balanced budget in place, and did that while working with a Republican Congress.  What I have seen on so many comment posts about politics is they are filled with petty nicknames for the two parties which is just pathetic.  I have no love of Trump, personally I think he is a disaster, but just as I have had to listen streams of discontent with Obama over the past eight years, some coming from Trump himself, then I only think it is fair that Trump's supporters gird their loins and listen to the other side as well, even if you don't agree.  The name calling won't stop because for whatever reason it makes people feel good (I showed them I called them a name!), and the fact it makes everyone sound like they are in a schoolyard reduces the level of discourse.  I won't deny that it has always been a part of the discourse, but too often it seems to drown out the voices who bring valid points.  Frequently the counter argument is something to the effect of you (insert political party here) are so dumb you just don't get it, and to add another derail argument, "This is Fake News, so there is nothing to respond to."  Whatever the concern is it is Fake News, and if it is sourced from the government, "they can't be trusted."  The current level of discourse is such that no source is accurate or reliable.  Perhaps the left, with its general trust in government intelligence, though that intelligence has proven itself fallible, should just go out an make unfounded statements, the most egregious currently going around is about "millions of illegal voters for Clinton," a number I have seen rounded to three million, just to wipe out her popular vote margin of victory.  They repeat Trumps comments, but even Trump has no support on this one, and as pointed out by some folks, many of the states elections are run by Republicans, meaning that if there is this massive voter fraud, it was done with Republicans at the helm, which means Trump is condemning his own supporters (again, nothing new).

Here is a link to a story from my Google+ feed that has comments that support much of what I have said (prompting this post).

No comments: