Saturday, June 28, 2008

Briz Brews

After much talking about it, Kip and I finally got together and brewed some beer.  It is supposed to be an Amber, so we will see how it goes.  Overall, we think it went well, despite the boil over that made a mess of my stove.  The beer is now in the fermenter fermenting and becoming something other than some sort of grain tea.  The initial part didn't really take that long, though having a carboy in my kitchen right now, as I thought during the first few days of intense fermentation, I might as well leave it there, moving it Sunday or Monday to someplace a little less inconvenient.
The day here is supposed to be gorgeous, and the morning certainly is, but I am doing a bit of laundry now, so I don't scramble tomorrow to accomplish that same bit that will still need to be done.  (The apartment has that peculiar fermented odor, though I hope to have that gone when I finally remove the overflow jar.)

I don't have anything specific planned for the weekend, which should hopefully allow me to get out and do something, as long as it doesn't have the negative effect of allowing me to do nothing.  I guess I could take a few more pictures of the beer fermenting, though I am thinking my reader might liken that to watching paint dry, though the chemical process here is absolutely remarkable, remember, this is beer.

For the record, I didn't do much reading last night except the recipe, over and over again, wondering if I was going to mess it up.  Messing up the first batch is a concern of mine, partly because if it isn't very good, I wonder if there will still be enthusiasm to make more.  Kip has had this equipment since sometime last year, and brought it over in March or April, so it has been a while it getting all the pieces to fit.  Hopefully, it won't take us as long to find time for the bottling.

**Update** I just got off the phone with Kip.  It seems the biggest concern is the age of the ingredients we used.  It seems this was a concern of Kip's though it had never crossed my mind.

No comments: