Tuesday, October 07, 2008

That pleasant directional feeling


If you have ever made a decision to do something difficult, but something which holds some allure to you, for whatever reason, then used that decision-momentum to get you through the following months until the decision becomes a reality of action, then you will probably know what I feel like. It is sort of like the decision made in October or November of 2001 when I decided Peace Corps would be my next move. Of course, that decision, unlike the similar one that is likely to be made regarding the Appalachian Trail, had outside influences that determined whether or not I could do it, such as the requirement of an invitation, so in the paperwork filled out, things became a bit more of a reality as each bar was passed. Here the same thing will likely happen, though some other things need to happen as well. Each and everything on a list that doesn't yet exist has to be evaluated and acted on, or not. Many things need to be done by March, and the planning of the whole thing is only just begun. I can't really answer how I feel, but I know it is good to be in motion again. Seattle has been a slothful time. While a pretty place, it just hasn't been terribly fulfilling. Maybe I will find that perspective I need while away, or maybe I will find something different, and discover that I need to be someplace else, east of the Mississippi, or else perhaps Portland. (Goodness, there seem to be an awful lot of ifs, maybes and perhapses.)

Again, though I can't say for certain it is the answer, I do think it is a good goal and a real possibility that by this time next year I will either be at Katahdin, or at least tried to get there. I was over at trailjournals.com earlier, and it is interesting reading, though I really wonder just how people update that, unless they do it in bunches during their town visits.

No comments: