Thursday, February 02, 2017

Couldn't sleep (so I got out of bed and read)

I was having one of those nights, where I wanted to go to bed early, and if you work nights, 2:30am is early, but then couldn't sleep, and after an hour or so, I got up.  Chamomile tea seemed in order.  I did have a bit of it, and am on my second mug now, and I do think I will sleep fine once I finish it, and this entry.  Being all Trumped out, I opted not to focus my reading on current events, and instead picked up a semi-humorous memoir, "Gilliflowers," instead.  Gillibran Brown website can be found here.  Gilli is very effective at translating his smart mouth to the page, and as he calls out his more obvious exaggerations, it does serve as a device to make you wonder about the rest.  Anyway, being out of the UK and writing the books via blog means there are always new phrases I am not accustomed to, and he is kind enough to explain them.  There is also the fun of seeing words on the page that I haven't seen many recent writers use, during today's reading "slattern" caught my attention, and gave me a giggle.  Of course, what would comments about a book be without something political, and here is Gilli's view:

"I hate talking politics, especially with business people. The business class tends to view politics as something that should only relate to their personal profit margins, as opposed to something that should benefit mankind in general."

             - Brown, Gillibran (2012-09-19). Gilliflowers, Bonds of Affection, Memoirs of a Houseboy 2008 (p. 113). Houseboy Works/Gillibran Brown. Kindle Edition. 

Actually the author recently had a kerfuffle with readers when he voiced his displeasure with both Brexit and Trump -- just because he writes fiction, does not mean he isn't allowed his opinion, though some of his readers didn't appreciate him sharing that opinion.  Chiming in here, I am glad he expressed his opinion, as much as anything else because as a writer, writing is safe form of venting, so he doesn't keep all that frustration and feeling of impotence locked up.  It is why I share any number of articles regularly on Facebook & Google+, because it is a way to share my concerns.  His readers don't need to agree with him politically, just like you don't need to like the political beliefs of any actor or musician.  You might wish they would keep their trap shut, but don't call them names because they were sharing their views.

I think I will have to face that if I am actually going to write here regularly, this will be about what I am reading, whether poetry, gay fiction, or to some degree the news, though I will try to push that off to other social media.

No comments: