Friday, February 03, 2017

Gilliflowers, again.

I still have 25% of the book to finish, but one thing I do like about this book is how Gilli portrays his own fight against acceptance of his epilepsy and his partners' acceptance and work on mitigating and minimizing its impact.  I doubt anyone wants to admit they have a condition as potentially debilitating as epilepsy is becoming more active rather than less as they grow older, so I can't fault Gilli in his single minded pursuit that it isn't that big a deal.  Personally, I wouldn't like the fuss over it either, so I genuinely get his point.  One thing about this book is that it takes place over a short period of time, and, since I haven't finished it, I have yet to find out how that plays out.  What I do appreciate about this memoir is how he portrays his denial of the condition while his lover impose ever more restrictive conditions to try and minimize it.  He isn't on board and he is in denial, but he wants the relationship and he respects his partners enough to make a go of it, and while not always pleasant, his attempts give the reader some insight into what is in his mind.  No one wants to be an epileptic, and no one wants to be seen as a medical condition rather than a person, so I am really hoping Gilli makes peace at some point before the end of this book, though from friends, and from a bit of HS English Lit (can we say foreshadowing), I am guessing he will have more than just his epilepsy to work through before the end.

For the record, I did go over to Smashwords and pick up the rest of his books, since his website mentions them first, rather than Amazon.

No comments: