Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Wow...

I am constantly amazed at how people view the world, or perhaps I should say view the world via the political/religious lens.  Facebook today took me into that uncomfortable territory where when I compared the fundamentalist sects of Christianity and Islam, I was told that is was basically irrelevant because a lot of Christian sects have reached out GLBTQ folks.  I am doing what I can to keep an open mind and argue reasonably, specifically mentioning that I said "fundamentalist" rather than referring to either as a whole, but it didn't seem to do any good, because the person I was conversing with thought I was stretching the fundamentalist aspect.  ISIL/ISIS is a fundamental sect of Islam, and comparing them to similar hate filled sects of Christianity is only proper.   Neither is accurately reflecting their faith, and both deserve to be discussed because of that.

I don't consider Mom's Methodist Church to be fundamentalist at all, so don't take my condemnation of that group as to being relevant to her or her faith.

No comments: