Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Any ideas?

I have not spoken with Mom or my step-father since Thanksgiving.  Actually, I haven't spoken with my step-father since September, but Mom expressed her dismay at one of my FB posts, so we spoke, and though she didn't directly ask me, I did delete said message.  The message was one urging her to make sure her GLBTQ congregation members understood that regardless of the election, the Methodist church, and her parish in particular still valued them and wanted to be inclusive.  My step-father has a tendency to belabor a point, to such an extent the those at the other end find it uncomfortable, and this he did with some lesbian members of my mother's church.  She mentioned that they also brought up their points, but she also implied they were left in tears, and in such as state as they actually screamed at her when she tried to call and placate them after the election.  Truly, this is all a mess, since I never picked my step-father for one who would vote for someone he described as an "idiot" for president, most likely because he believed Hillary was "crooked."  Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

All of this said, I may actually get another call from Mom expressing discontent over this post, but this time, I don't really care.  While I have seen the Pope actually call out the recent refugee executive order as being un-Christian, I have not seen the leaders of her church do the same.  Perhaps if she wants to link me that, I will change my mind, but as I pointed out on someone's post, American Christianity is not about Christ helping the world, but it is about Christ helping me.



EDIT - I just went to the Methodist Church homepage, and they don't agree with Trump.  Here is a link.

No comments: