Wednesday, January 11, 2017

And here I decided to take a break from the screen

I have been online a reading news and posting to Twitter or Facebook for a good chunk of the evening, as I found articles that I enjoyed.  I decided to take a break, and picked up (again) Carlos Pintado's "Nine Coins/Nueve monedas" and found the poem, "Halfway through the poem" and here are the last lines:

Halfway through the poem, it seems something sacred
will force us to follow it down distant depths
where it opens the dreaming into what is dreamed.

I like the way that is phrased (in translation by Hilary Vaughn Dobel), and I like the sentiment, and how it reflects what I think is best when a poem can hit those notes and open the dreaming.  I frequently mention that poetry has the power to let the reader soar with it, and here the poet is reminding us that it allows us to dream with it as well.

No comments: