Monday, January 02, 2017

Vagaries of Resolutions

Yep, with the New Year comes that inevitable question about what resolutions are you making.  I actually gave up on resolutions more than a few years ago, when I learned that what they were for me was a list of what I wouldn't accomplish that year.  Why they never got done is hard to say, since I am not sure if I kept track of what they were and when they died in any given year.

For me now, a resolution would need to be pretty specific, for example, if I said I intended to read more poetry, is that just more poems?  And if it isn't more poems, how do you factor in those book length works, one poem?  Again, if I were making that resolution, I would have to figure out how to qualify it so I could measure if I accomplished it.

Considering this blog, would a resolution be to write in it more than last year?  Would a better resolution to be to write in it more regularly than last year, regardless of total number of posts?  Again, it is a resolution too vague to actually be measurable, unless I wrote more entries over more months than I did in 2016.

I feel for one of the managers at work.  He is taller than me and decided his resolution would be losing 25 pounds in 13 weeks.  From what he said last night during the shift, he is planning on doing it by cutting his calorie intake to 1000 a day or something ridiculous.  Maybe it will work for him, but my hunch is he is doing himself more harm than good.

The main reason I don't do resolutions, is that life always gets involved, and when life is going on, then whether you get a blog entry done or not is totally irrelevant.  I like having the time to write, and I like being able to share what I am reading here.  I don't really write here to accomplish a specific goal, there is no overarching theme of my blog, like book reviews, current events, or some sort of project, but rather a running commentary of what I choose to share, and when I get a bit distracted or busy, well, then like last week, there is no sharing, though I did get a character from level 22 to level 37 last week, which was one reason I spent too much time online (ESO).

No comments: