Monday, February 06, 2017

Gradual Discovery

Over on FB, there is someone I went to high school with, and he is on the opposite side of the political spectrum, which isn't an uncommon occurrence, especially considering I went to high school in Southern Indiana.  Regardless, he posted some story about Tom Brady being threatened with a public flogging if he didn't recant his friendship with Donald Trump.  I asked if he was serious about such a story, and then said that Tom Brady, like any entertainer, is allowed to speak his political views, and the fallout from them is between him and his fans, like it would be any entertainer.  The comment back was something about it being from the left, and he was confused.  I am not quite sure what happened, as I was there supporting someone's right to an opinion, and if they choose to be vocal about that opinion, then they should accept the fallout, and I didn't care whether the opinion was from the left or right.  I am not going to follow up comments on that chain because it really seems that even when I agree with this person, in this case allowing an entertainer the right to their opinion, I am somehow in the wrong by not condemning those who disagree with it?  I know my English isn't that bad, but for some reason I think we are speaking different languages.

[I do consider professional athletes entertainers, since they use their talents to entertain via sport.]

No comments: