Monday, August 28, 2006

Der Rosenkavalier and the weekend


I managed to confirm that my postcards with the unusual provenance arrived at their destination, though my sister managed to toss hers into a basket with the mail which then was placed out of sight since there was a first-time visitor to her home, and heaven forbid anything as horrible as the mail might be in plain sight.

Saturday I went to the Seattle Opera's production of Strauss' "Der Rosenkavalier" and enjoyed the evening immensely, from the Thai food beforehand until the end. Before going, I read a synopsis of the first act, and during the first intermission was pretty sure how the rest of the opera would play out excepting the details. The details are what make so many things fun and interesting, especially comedies, as they get to the forgone conclusion by some hopeless literary Rube Goldberg type devices. I haven't really been to enough opera's to feel comfortable commenting on the performances, but one of my colleagues felt the singer in the title role lost some of her manly portrayal near the end. I do feel that her performance was stronger in other parts of the opera, but I don't think she was overly feminine in the end.

No comments: