Thursday, August 24, 2006

Gym and books

I am sure some would say that reading Tocqueville, or any "heavy" literature, while doing cardio at the gym is something sacrilegious. To this, I say not really, because that is the time I have to read it, and that is the time when I have fairly undivided attention. Luckily for me, the cardio machines are not in a great position to check out the eye candy at the gym. While I am sure there are things I am missing on, I also believe I manage to pick up on some of the important points as well, and try and pass some of those quotes on.

"The more equal conditions become, the less strong men are individually, the more readily they allow themselves to go along with the crowd, and the harder they find it to adhere by themselves to an opinion the crowd has abandoned." (Volume 2, Part II, Chapter 6) And here we have the genius of the Republican Party in that they have convinced everyone that since they are the "majority" party, then all of their opinions are correct. Just a thought thrown out for consideration.

Time for dinner, for which I have to thank those people out at Trader Joe's, who I am sure are communists or some such thing.

No comments: