Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tocqueville (again)


I realize that after a bit my continual blather regarding this author will get tiresome, but since Kurt Vonnegut expressed such high regard for him (and low regard for those who hadn't read him), I figure it is only fair to read what Tocqueville has to say. Today I was quite pleasantly surprised by a few chapters regarding his observations on American Democracy and Art. One easy to relate observation was the move away from the universal into the individual--rather than the great themes of the ancients, he thought American theater, when it finally truly developed, would instead focus more on situations of the individual, as well as be more intent on entertaining rather than "moving."

In part because it has been a long day, and also because I don't feel like finding the perfect quote, his chapter "On Some Sources of Poetry in Democratic Nations" is something I would suggest reading. The few that follow which deal with theater and dramatic works are also worthwhile.

I still keep wondering when they will revoke my gym membership because I am reading something other than "People" magazine.

Work today wasn't that bad. I guess some time in the next couple of weeks we should be receiving our reviews, and from the sound of it, John had to do a bit of reworking at the behest of the boss, and John said he had done some serious consideration in writing them in the first place. Time will tell just what it says.

No comments: