Monday, August 14, 2006

Gilgamesh

Yesterday, I started reading the introduction to the recent "version" of Gilgamesh by Stephen Mitchell. Today, I finally finished the introduction to the recent "version" of Gilgamesh by Stephen Mitchell. Later tonight, though most likely tomorrow, I should finish reading the text of the recent "version" of Gilgamesh by Stephen Mitchell. All these repetitions honestly have no bearing on my opinion of this version, and perhaps don't relate in any way, but it was fun adding them along. I wrapped up the first couple of books this evening, and only just met Gilgamesh after Enkidu decided that certain privileges of the king just weren't copacetic. There is considerably more explicit sex in this one compared to Homer or some of the Latins, and Mr. Mitchell does a nice job keeping the tempo and interest up, at least he has so far. I really will get back to old Wallace, but I bought this book back in May at Powell's while on a trip to Portland and I am feeling this urge to buy more books, but first I have to read some of what is on the shelves. I will not read a huge number before making more purchases, but I need to read at least five books before I will allow myself to buy three more. Sounds stupid, but if I didn't try to reign in the urge, I wouldn't have space to walk.

No comments: