Monday, January 07, 2008

Less than manic Monday


Since I spent time yesterday sorting through and editing pictures from China (deleting dupes, or cropping and color-fixing), it occurred that I should post some, though I still have plenty from my recent trip to Europe that haven't posted as well. Life is about all these sorts of decisions--the minor ones which may or may not end up being major in the long run.

For Christmas, Dave was kind enough to provide me with Gielgud's Letters, and as I was eating dinner and reading this collection, I began to wonder what he would make of this thing called blogging. (As an aside, I thought the same thing of Camus the journalist.) How much of this would be deemed "quality" communication? What sort of things make up communication of a significant nature? Is all communication significant? No answers today, but quite a few questions.

I wasn't there, and I don't know, but having seen stories already asking if Hillary's tearing up during a Q&A today will help or hurt her, and at least one comment about whether someone thought it was an act, really makes me regret the lack of substance that seems to be running the news. My frequent news source is The New York Times, and when I find things like that there, it makes me wonder what definition of "newsworthy" they use. It isn't as if she broke down crying on her husband's shoulder complaining of the stress and that people were being mean to her, so in that sense it doesn't seem to deserve that much comment. My few comments on that. The world is spiraling into a morass of mediocrity, and there is nothing I can do about it, though I will do what I can to point it out, and probably add to that morass, since there is no way I can be adding to an intelligent discussion of much of anything.

No comments: