Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Pesky Frenchisms


Somedays, I have no problems whatsoever uploading photos, but on other days, it is a bear. I do wonder if blogger doesn't always communicate with tiger the way it should. Today, while reading Gielgud, it occurred to me that G W Bush was sort of like Marshall Petain. Petain signed the armistice with Germany in 1940 and ran Vichy. The comparison has more to do with Petain implementing all sorts of "security" measures and stuff. (I just edited out everything I had typed.) I don't even think it was the security measures that brought the comparison, but the fact that Petain and Bush brought their respective countries to the nadir of their respective histories. Bush keeps trying to see if we can go lower, while Petain's government is long dissolved, ask any French person if the legacy is forgotten. (This is much closer to what I had intended to write than what I was writing.) It is really too sad that our country didn't have the good sense to dump Bush after the first four years, though maybe we did, because there were still some contested elections that were swept under the rug. ( I heard somewhere that Diebold changed the name of its voting machine division to Premier Election Solutions.) While Petainism also refers to Catholicism, the parallel with Bush will still be religion, but not the church of Rome, which I still can't believe Bush visited, but some pole barn superstructure where 2,000 can sway to the easy melodies of the Lord.

I should quit now, before I offend more people, or come up with ever more preposterous comparisons.

No comments: