Tuesday, December 04, 2007

And then there's Maude



What a day... Busy like no one's business at work, which was nice as it made the afternoon just zoom. After work I went over to this cafe/pub called Brauer's and enjoyed a Belgian on tap as well as an oak-aged domestic, also on tap. The world of beers holds a variety to explore, and I am lucky to be able to explore in this part of the country, as it is one of the richest areas to explore beer, in many of its types and seasons. I can't say why I have become fascinated with beer, or if it is just a temporary passion, much like what I wonder about with Mom & her periodic interests. Regardless, I am going to enjoy the interest while it lasts, and before my waistline expands to such a point that I need to call it off, though if I am smart and careful, perhaps this won't actually raise its head as a concern.

Other than the beers & a tasty lamb burger, the day hasn't consisted of much outside of work. Last night Dave called to discuss the world of living by decisions you make even if your family doesn't really support them. I felt lousy because I couldn't really give much in the way of advice here. While it makes sense to anyone who needs to make such a decision, "do what you feel is right" is just not the sort of supportive advice most people need. Much to his dismay, his family isn't real keen on his graduate school endeavor, even 1.5 years into it, and are tactless enough to tell him so. Under such an assault, there is little you can do but remain faithful to the spirit of the initial decision and stick to it, if for no other reason than to prove them wrong, because dropping out will only prove them correct, even if their lack of faith and support was a contributing factor. I guess for me, I was lucky, as aside from the initial snide comments from Mom, most of my family kept quiet, and while I was in Romania, they all had the grace not to trash what I was doing on the international phone calls that occasionally happened--it makes me think I had it easy.

Absolutely amazing what different families do under similar circumstances. Mom eventually turned a leaf over and decided Peace Corps was a good thing, and aside from my sister, I still don't know what the rest of the family thought of the whole adventure, though none of them took the time to visit, which might say all that needs to be said.

No comments: