Tuesday, December 18, 2007

One more day

Down to my last evening in the house by myself for a week. While tonight won't be anything special, the next week should be fun. I really don't have a clue as to what we will do all week, though I do know Dave has some activities he needs to work on in preparation for next semester. Surprise of surprise is that his siblings, none of whom are going home for the holidays are slagging him for going to Seattle for those same holidays. Family is such fun. Mine is understanding that I have a life and may have other plans, and they won't guilt me for not flying home. Odd that I have it so lucky, but then I have not lived in their vicinity in a long time, and some of my early jobs required working on Christmas, so they really did become accustomed to me not being home for a good reason, making later absences no big deal.

Work this week is a nasty, horrible drag. No one in the department really wants to be there, and for the most part, I don't think any of my suppliers want to be working either. It makes for a rather lackluster sort of time at work, and I am eagerly anticipating Friday, though I know it won't provide me with the relief I need, just a temporary five day reprieve. How the human race got itself into this mess, I don't know. Somehow there must be a better way to live. Only a small percentage of people really have those jobs they love and don't consider work. (I have a job that I don't consider at all if I don't have to.) Where did we go wrong and end up in this position. There must be a considerable amount of creativity squandered because there is no outlet for it. If it doesn't jibe with what you do for a living, then you need to have enough energy to work on it at home after work. This after work sort of thing doesn't happen if you have a family or any self doubt whatsoever, as then you don't do it, thinking nothing will come of it anyway, besides, you are not a (fill in creative type profession of choice here). This is a sort of horrible place to be, because it is so deadening--killing any spark of creativity and drowning any that somehow make it past the scythe. I didn't really intend for this to be a depressing sort of post that fills one with dread and doom as such. The meanderings of the mind and the flow of words never cease to amaze.

No comments: